Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Sep 08. Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque CD (Lifeforce Records)

I'll cut to the chase on this. I dont like it. Which is strange, because the opening track; My Chemical Romance-like vocal and piano melody aside, is pretty much a tasty piece of intro music, reminding me of albums by Forbidden and Heathen. In fact, much of the music here is inventive, heavy, choppy and thrashing. So why dont I like it? Cos I'm bloody sick of the vocal style! Constant pained shout/screaming and the inevitable clean emo vocal'ed moments. It's so bloody pre-conceived, so typically late 90's. It's all so indentikit. And the music is cut and paste from just about every emo-shout-scream-core band of the last 3 years. There isnt anything here I havent heard before a 100 times. It's expertly done and consumately played, but I just dont get why bands do this, surely this style is dead now? Killswitch Engage mastered this stuff years ago. The nu-rave bleeps arent gonna help it. That said, if you're a teenager getting into Metal, maybe this is the shit, but for a mid-30's thrasher and general music lover that's been around the block a few times, this is all rather tiring.

No comments: