Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Aug 09. Artillery - When Death Comes (Metal Mind Productions)

Artillery were one of the first bands I ever read about in Mega Metal Kerrang back in the late 80’s as I devoured anything I could get my hands on in my new found religion of Thrash Metal. Unfortunately it wasn’t until a couple of years ago and the advent of the internet and MP3’s that I finally got round to hearing those early albums. My lack of familiarity and many moons having passed meant they didn’t convince as much as they might once have and I have yet to go back to them. So it’s refreshing to hear that Artillery 2009 are past masters at the Thrash game. This one is chock full of catchy thrash gallop riffing and smooth time changes reminding me of the best of the old school Bay Area bands. The European Thrash flavor is in full effect with new singer Søren Adamsen sounding like a cross between Destruction’s Schmier, Dee Snider and Flotsam’s Erik AK. A great melodic yet aggressive voice that complements the songs, and songs they are. You’ll find yourself humming these after a few plays and there can be no better recommendation. When Death Comes is a nice addition to the Thrash oeuvre and a clear signal to the nu-Thrashers that a little more schooling wouldn’t go amiss. Recommended.

No comments: