Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Dec 08. Mind Gone Blind - Liars and Preachers (Rising Records)

Mind Gone Blind hail from sunny Scotland and play a sensible grown up melodic rock of a kind. I think Free might be a good watchword here. The guitar is up in the mix with a nice tone and understated but rocky delivery. It’s singer Moyz that really lends the classic rock touch though with a really great voice, unafraid to actually sing, and well he does. The rhythm section do a stand up job of supporting the front two, it’s pleasant stuff and easy on the ear. I can’t yet jump all over it though as for me it lacks that extra punch or massive chorus hooks that bring that ‘wow’ factor. I’m thinking Orange Goblin style grooves would help MGB. However I can still see these guys being lauded over in magazines like Classic Rock and playing supports to all the reformed rock players doing the rounds. Respectable and rocking stuff, but for now perhaps a little too laid back for my tastes.

No comments: