Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Sep 08. Destinity – The Inside CD (Lifeforce Records)

Right, here we go, something rooted in Death Metal that I can get my teeth into. First off it’s more than evident that like so many young bands these days, Destinity can play and play very well. This is fast, choppy and all over the fretboard without losing the power. However, for me they fall down when the keyboards come to the fore and the vocals start these melodic, anthemic and sometimes gothic passages. You’ve also got your break/beatdown moments which most bands use these days. Since the music is so straight thrashing otherwise, it has a bit of a feeling of throwing in the kitchen sink. Still, the less discerning (read: fussy bastard) likes of the be-denimed Wacken festival would likely lap this up. They like some keyboards with their death frenetics. Personally I prefer Hail of Bullets or Blood Red Throne style heaviosty. I’m sure they’re all Metal as fuck and horrified that I can’t dig it, but there you go. If you like Melodic Death Metal, you’ll love this, but I just have heavier things to listen to.

No comments: