Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Dec 08. Destruction – Devolution (AFM Records)

Ah man, Destruction… Gods of Thrash, bringers of Teutonic 80’s fire and brimstone? Well in olden times, on the first coupla albums they helped define a genre that has brought decades of enjoyment. Classics. Upon finally witnessing them live this year during a woefully unattended UK tour, Destruction delivered in spades. So what of this new album? Well it’s thrash, and it’s Schmier no doubt, the blueprint is there for all to see. Unfortunately it’s just a little too water treading for me to love it. Nothing really sticks riff-wise and the lyrical matter runs the gamut of the expected; seven deadly sins, personal ethics, the diabolical, etc. It’s good but lacks weight vocally and lacks definition musically. It’s heresy for me to say this, I know, but I cannot lie. There is an intensity missing, perhaps something only my 16 year old self will ever know, but there it is. I look to the likes of Exodus for reborn fire but I’ll still never give up on Destruction.

No comments: