Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Sep 08. Laurel Collective – Feel Good Hits of a Nuclear Winter CD (Double Six Records)

To be honest, I don’t hate this even though I guess the stereotype says I should. It’s all nice NME style youth of today easy listening indie pop with those oh-so-2008 keyboard bleeps. I think the kidz call it nu-rave, er, lolz? Later the fey songwriter type tracks look in, circa something like Arctic Monkeys. Anyhow, any 6th form females that dress like Madonna did in the 80’s will no doubt cream themselves at the sound and sight of the LC, but it doesn’t work for me. I can’t fault it for what it is though, the production is clear, mixed nicely, the singers harmonize nicely and it’s all beautifully harmless. The tunes are well put together and as I try I can almost sense something of The Coral in the sound, one of the few ‘indie’ bands I’ve like in the last, well, ever. So that’s good. I can see these guys doing well and I wish ‘em the best, but I like my music with a bit more grit.

No comments: