Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Sep 08. Moonspell - Night Eternal CD (SPV Steamhammer)

I expected to dislike this as I'm really not into gothic Metal and while I couldnt say I'd choose this to listen to over the many other things I spend my time with, it certainly isnt unpleasant. While it basks in waves of ethereal gothic death metal, it makes no apologies for being what it is and it is certainly heavier than the likes of Evaneseance. There are nods in feel, not extremity, to death metal luminaries such as Nile or Morbid Angel, but also a heavy dose of Type O Negative and perhaps Fields of the Nephilim. Night Eternal doesnt suffer from vocal or lead guitar histrionics and so is quite tasteful in its bombast. Sounding like a band at the top of their game it's masterfully done but to be honest still isn't my thing. If you're into this kind of melodic death metal swathed in storytelling heartfelt gothic vocals I would certainly recommend Moonspell.

No comments: