Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Dec 08. The Dehumanizers - The First Five Years (of Drug Use) Anthology (PIG)

I can’t say I quite get The Dehumanizers, being a somewhat paranoid yet proud Metalhead who listens to Cro-Mags and Spermbirds on the quiet, lest elitist punks shout ‘get the fuck away from my music hippy’ at me. Now, it’s all good music and those people can fuck off. Still, it’s with wariness I approach what appears to be another fuck you if you don’t get it type alterna-punk band. Why alterna? Cos there’s loads of weird cut-ups, fuck abouts and un-punk moments herein. I knew the name but I admit I needed some reading to confirm Dehumanizers are Seattle-ites and been punking since ’84, with 4 albums out and a big history. What I hear I’m not sure but it appears to be some amalgam of west coast skate/beach punk with elements of early US Hardcore, Zappa, Lard, Butthole Surfers and on the more straight thrashing parts delightful reminisces of early DRI (great!) and occasionally VoiVod! If you like a little experimentation and variety with your punk bite and bile, check these guys out, there’s certainly plenty on this 2 CD anthology set to keep you going and the booklet is top class.

No comments: