Thursday 18 March 2010

CD review, Aug 09. Swashbuckle - Back To The Noose (Nuclear Blast Records)

I’d never heard of these guys before but it seems Nuclear Blast’s marketing department is playing a an online blinder with some awesome web presentation and a nice promo video. Not only that but Swashbuckle have a high technical mastery over the metallic styles they cover in this sophomore album which compounds the professional feel. Apparently formed 2005 in New Jersey, this three piece fashion themselves entirely around pirate lore and musically play a Thrash-Crossover and sometimes even Grind style as played by the likes of SSS, Send More Paramedics, et al. Consumate Thrash’N’Roll with plenty of vocal backups on the chorus hooks and tasteful solos to die for. Where did these guys come from?! It’s all great fun and incredibly well played, damn shame more bands don’t appreciate the refined power of tight and effective riffing, but I have to say I find the pirate gimmick just too distracting. I can’t really take it seriously because it’s so jokey all the time. I know that’s the point and I shouldn’t question it but with the skits, acoustic passages and comedy tracks, I can’t help but think the best Crossover Thrash album ever made is hiding in there somewhere. I look forward to the jeans and t-shirt side project!

No comments: